27.) Is there more Funtional than Activators
When we discuss functional we commontly refer to treatment
with bimaxillary appliances just like
However correct function in unsderstood as the harmony of
movements of the lower jaw towards the maxila.
This brings us to a point where we consider all appliances
which help to treat these disharmonies as
The least expensive: a wooden spoon to treat a frontal cross bite of one incisor.
We advise the patient to aply pressure to the palatinal surface
of the upper incisor as often as possible in
If this does not work, we have to plan impressions in order
to construct a plate with lateral plane for
The same construction of active bite plate has to be planed when we have to treat a lateral non-occlusion.
Another form of disfunction l consider the open bite cases:
In most case the frontal open bite is connected to a narrow
maxila. An extending-plate is necessary to widen
Now we come what is normally understood when we talk about
functional appliances. The question is how
To find out about this it is neccesary to evaluate the patients
respective to their.
1. The classical AKTIVATOR with individual elements as springs or expensaion screws vertically open of with bite planes.
2. The Skeletal AKTIVATOR without a front shield leaving more free space for the tongue, again vertically open or with bite planes.
3. The BIONATOR similar to a scelered activator with a continuous labial wire which has two labial loops which are extended up to the first molars.
4. The spring AKTIVATOR a lower and an upper plate with the neccessary elements are connecte l with two safetypin-like springs.
5. The U-BOW AKTIVATOR (Bügelaktivator by Karwetzky)
6. The VORSCHUB-DOPPEL-PLATTE (VDP by Karwetzky) is a
combination of single ower and upper plates which slide on to
Before we discuss what appliance suits best the specific malocclusion let me describe how they are produced.
After all this theory I would like to show you patients treated
with aktivator. Not all of our patients cooperate that well and a great part
of our work is to convince our patient that an aktivator in a box will not
AMOM 2015 © ® diseño web: www.veronicataboada.mx